Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Now taking recommendations

pet




My bike shop is dead. Gone. No more. An ex- shop. I can't say I'm surprised. Biketopia has had more than it's fair share of troubles in the past year or so. Having grown up in the family business I know how hard it is to run your own place. Because of that I do my best to support local, independent shops when I can. Sometimes I just can't. I wish things had turned out differently for Biketopia.

It took me 2 years to find a shop like Biketopia. A place where the owner knew my name, where the folks were friendly and knowledgeable. I can't tell you how many shops I went to where either the 20-something male staff ignored me because I'm not a 20-something hot babe, or the 30-something retired race staff turned bike sales guy was only interested in talking to current or retired racers, or the sales staff were friendly to the point of smothering but didn't know squat about bikes, or if they did, tried to talk me into something I already knew I didn't want, or the staff were bike nerds without any social skills counting the minutes until I'd leave them alone so they could scuttle back behind the counter or into the shop and tinker with tools. I can't say it was as bad as shopping for a car or house but it was right up there.

Frank was different. He listened, he knew his shit and didn't try to up or down sell me anything. He knew my name and took care of my bike. I liked stopping by and having a chat on my way to or from a show or class.

I have many unkind words for rude customers and shady distributors, thieving employees and large chain stores. But I'd rather remember Biketopia as a great place to hang out and a reliable shop and a swell owner.

My dilemma now is...where do I take the cat bird? Who is going to help me with the Hercules restoration? Where am I going to hang out for 45 mins between classes or shows?

Now taking recommendations for locally owned bike shop with friendly, knowledgeable staff, reasonably priced equipment, not afraid of middle aged lesbians who never raced a bike and don't intend to start now, who like women and encourage riders of all styles and abilities with advice, suggested repairs/upgrades and have a few fun stories and jokes to share. If you know a shop like this or ARE a shop like this drop me a line.

Here's wishing you all the best Frank.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Frank Brigandi said...

225 Brookline BLVD.... my garage is just as friendly, be sure to stop by, I'll also be volunteering and teaching at the Bike church a.k.a. Neighborhood bike works at penn campus. My heart is more into helping people who appreciate it, not assisting people with bad shopping habits or lacking consideration for their fellow man/woman/dog/cat/jellybean.....
225 brookline blvd havertown. beer is cold, hot tub is always on, I'll be there or I'll be in Penn square...helping needy kids.