Tuesday, June 17, 2008

The thing is...

Apparently there was an article this week in the New York Times about actor award cermonies in the theater. From the Tony's to regional and local award ceremonies almost everyone quoted in the article was overwhelmingly in favor. Duh! They gained the most from these dog and pony shows. They justify the awards by stating it launched their career or puts the stamp of "quality" on a company / production / performer / Director et al. Funders want to know their money is going to a 'quality' show. Producers want to hire 'quality' people with a proven track record. And of course everyone believes their awards to be 'fair' and 'unbiased'

The things is, it's art and by it's very nature it is biased. And the deeper entrenched the awards the more the advocates promote them as god given evidence that they are The Best XYZ.

One person, yes, one single person, an actual multi award winner in Florida stood up to say how bogus it all is. That it is difficult enough for actors to get work and make their work without the added pressure of being 'judged'

It is no secret that I think it is wonderful to see nice things, flattering, over the top things about yourself in the press. Were I to win an award I would feel...what exactly? I'm not sure because in my heart of hearts I don't need a shiny trophy to tell me I'm good at what I do. I already know it. Happy yes, a public victory, yes but a hollow personal one.

I often work with middle and high school students in theater and related projects to pay the bills. Children are obsessed with awards because it is often the only way they have of evaluating where they stand in the 'pack order' of their peers and they believe that such awards are indications of greatness yet to come.

One of my friends sent me this link today. High School Tony Awards. It made me laugh because the categories are so much like real high school theater awards. I also started thinking that adult awards shows, like the Tony's or the Philadelphia Barrymores or whatever the regional theater awards are in your local area would be a hell of a lot more fun and interesting if we all finally admitted what was really important...like "Best Daughter of a Director In a Leading Role" and "Most Sexual Tension Created in a Pre-Show Back Rub Circle"


High School Tony Awards Honor Nation's Biggest Drama Club Nerds

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Kel, you're good at what you do. Oh, and here's a gold star.
:)