Friday, May 30, 2008

Harevey Korman


I woke up this morning to hear that Harvey Korman had died. I was truly sad. I understand from reading articles and watching 'behind the scenes' style tv programming that Mr. Korman was not always easy to work with but I think he was a great on screen comedian.

I grew up watching the Carol Burnett Show. Sketches featuring Tim Conway and Harvey Korman were a treat! They made the work look easy and joyful. I imagined how wonderful it must be to be them.

I watched an inhuman amount of television as a child. I watched hours of old movies and TV shows that were long ago put on the shelf. Today I guess folks have TV Land as a resource but 'back in my day we didn't have cable tv we watched what the networks ran and we liked it!'

And it's true. I liked every bit of it. I watched a lot of 'Sesame Street' that had many sophisticated jokes and story lines that helped shape my sense of humor. I watched 'The Electric Company' with Rita Moreno "HEY YOU GUUUUUUUYSSSS!" I watched The Marx Brothers, Three Stooges, Abbott and Costello, and Road To movies. I watched all of the various Lucy shows. As a teenager I watched Carol Burnett and Monty Python and Benny Hill. For my 8th birthday my dad took me to a matinée of 'The AppleDumpling Gang' featuring Tim Conway, who at the time I knew from the tv show McHales' Navy.

My sense of humor was shaped by all of these sources and more: Danny Kaye, Red Skelton, Buddy Hackett, Bob Hope, Jimmy Durante, Mae West, The Little Rascals. I'm sure I've missed about 1000 others but if they were on TV between 1969 and 2008 I've seen them.

Bravo Mr. Korman. Bravo!

No comments: