Monday, August 10, 2009

Hostile to liars

I received some feedback about a workshop I ran a few months back. The workshop is new for me. It was the first one, a beta test if you will and still has some bugs to be worked out. It was a risk on my part but I put perfectionism aside. I trusted that as long as I am genuine, truthful and committed to the subject people will be accepting. We can all learn something. I explained to the first ever participants of said workshop the inspiration for it, my future plans for developing the workshop and that I was open to constructive feedback from them on future improvements.

I don't know when the participants completed their online survey, but I am only now receiving the comments. Most comments were complimentary and instructive. They did not state anything that was not said to me at the workshop itself OR they were comments about changes that I am already aware need to be addressed. You don't teach for 15 years and not have some idea of where changes need to be made.

On the other hand, some participants seem to believe it is ok to outright lie about the experience. 1 states they arrived "1 hour late." No one arrive 1 hour late, 1 person arrived about 20 mins late but no one was 1 hour late. 1 stated that I appeared to have no focus and was just doing random exercises despite the fact the first thing I do for
any workshop is to explain the purpose and focus. Another states they had no opportunity to give or receive feedback although I gave everyone ample opportunity to speak with me directly before, during, and after the workshop. These statements are 100 % lies.

It is not my habit to feel hostile to feedback. One's experience is one's experience. However, no one has ever outright lied about their participation before. I don't take kindly to liars. In fact, I AM hostile to liars.

If you arrived late and missed the explanation and point of focus for the class that is on you to ask at break, not my fault. Where I was trained arriving late meant you were not allowed to take the class, no matter how valid your reason for being late, but this isn't that sort of organization.

If you did not take away anything useful from my class that is a valid comment. I have taken workshops with some "FAMOUS NEW YORK" and "FAMOUS CHICAGO" improvisers that left no significant impression on me. I did not blame the instructor for my lack of enthusiasm, it was simply not a good fit.

If you felt over/under experienced for this class - that is valid - note taken. Perhaps the description of the workshop needs to be clarified so students understand what they are paying for.

If you felt my time management was poor that is a valid comment. If you felt you wanted more time or more information about an exercise that is valid. Those are personal experiences and constructive feedback. Some of these concerns I plan to address. Some of them I have no intention of addressing because this is a different methodology than what many people are accustomed to. It is understandable that it would touch a few nerves.

But under no circumstances do these comments require additional personal digs at me. The purpose of surveys is to aid in improving the experience, not to make the commenter feel like a big shot by bringing someone - in this case me- down.

I am REALLY REALLY hostile toward people who make themselves feel better by belittling others.

So liar(s), whoever you are, I hope I don't run into you on stage, at a show, at an audition, or at the bars because, unlike you, I have no problem speaking my mind, owning my opinions and telling the truth with my name on it.

No comments: